Popular Posts

Sunday 6 March 2016

Multi-Way: The Bodycon Dress

When I was about 7 to 9 years old I used to turn t shirts into skirts and wear layers of vests in order to experiment with my wardrobe. Obviously this was no a great look, but I look back and love how oblivious I was to what was "acceptable" and just wore what I wanted and tried to find new ways of wearing different clothes. Of course I've grown out of the blush-worthy t-shirt skirt, but I've also grown out of trying new things and mixing it up. Since the beginning of my teens I've had this ideal that something could only be worn one way, which just isn't what fashion and style is about.

Luckily before a concert the other week, my best friend Carys reminded me that there are so many things you can do to just one piece of clothing, and that you don't need to go by the book. This inspired me to create a new series called "Multi-way" to come up with new ways of styling an item of clothing which in long term will save lots of money and lots of what-do-I-wear panic.

The first item is a black, knee-length, bodycon dress. I got mine in the summer last year, but I have found an alternatives that will work here, although any black bodycon dress with a light material of your choice works. So here's three ways to style a bodycon.


The first unorthodox way to wear this bodycon is like a bodysuit under skirts for a night out, because of the lovely racer back of this dress, it adds some dimension to the outfit and ensures that it brushes your skin like a bodysuit would. I paired it with a scuba, box-pleated skirt and some blush pink heels to keep the look simple but stylish.


Or to make the look slightly comfier, I slapped on a pair of trainers that make the look more on the "urban" side


The second look is the flip side of the first as the dress is being used as just a plain bodycon skirt (inspired by Carys) and the velour crop top adds a new texture making the look more interesting and dynamic, perfect for keeping you a bit warmer on a night out. The caged heels are quite 'out-there' in the context of this outfit I think, but it's easily adjustable with a pair of classic stillettos


The next way is basically the same as the first, bodysuit way, but I've styled it in more of a casual way for summer (optimistic) and I think the casual feel of the denim contrasting with the formality of black makes the outfit wearable for all occasions. The racer back hand-in-hand with the Vans also gives the look a sporty feel.


 I hope this inspired you to find new ways to wear a bodycon dress, or any other soon-to-be versatile piece in your wardrobe. Keep and eye out for another installment of this series.

Happy Mother's Day!


Items;

Scuba skirt - Urban Outfitters (similar here)

Velvet Crop Top - old (similar here)

Blush heels - Missguided (in blue here) (updated version here)

Caged sandals - Miss Selfridge (alernative here)

Denim Skirt - Urban Outfitters

Handbag - Kate Spade

Vans - This year's equivalent

Rings - mixture of Topshop and Vintage


No comments:

Post a Comment